Presented for review without comment…
Monthly Archives: October 2010
We attended one of the apparent zillions of 10/10/10 weddings last night, and as we watched the happy couple share their promises of a life together, we held hands and thought of a very similar night nearly a year ago, when we did the same. A year ago today, I woke up early (before the crack of dawn, believe me), had coffee with my dad, spent the morning getting ready with my mom, friends, and soon-to-be sister-in-law
and was pretty much the happiest I’ve ever been.
Happy anniversary, love.
Generally, Sydney is pretty social. He is not the type of cat who runs and hides in another room when people are over– instead, he is usually all up in their business, foot-pervery and all. Of course this extends to me and GP, and any time that he and I are in separate rooms is a troubling time for the kitty. He is usually so distressed that he plants himself firmly in the middle of the two rooms. The exception to this, though? Nap time! He is an all-up-ons sleeper, and this seems to go double for when I need a nap– he cannot get close enough. This isn’t very bothersome because I sleep like the dead, and he isn’t prone to waking up and walking across my face during nap time. Thanks, Syd.
(I only got six hours of sleep last night, which was totally unacceptable. Hence the nap.)
Mostly in the interest of not having two back-to-back Caturday posts (because who am I, a Crazy Cat Lady? Only almost, friends. Only almost), I bring you…Friday Fill-Ins! And some miscellany down at the end. Get excited.
1. My back yard is home to a little family of opossums, who have taken up residence in our persimmon tree. I think they likely live there year-round, but I can only recall seeing them last winter when we moved in and then again last night as I was pulling into the driveway. They are the creepiest-looking animals ever, and I am not excited that they are going to be eating my ambrosial persimmons. Maybe they’re only there at night? Does anyone know anything about opossums, other than that they are horrifying?
2. On our second night in Yosemite, when I heard actual coyotes (wolves? some other species of wild dog?) yipping in the Valley, I knew we were truly in someplace wild. Now, I am not a city girl by most definitions, but the fact that we were sleeping in a tent cabin that was full of bear warnings and hearing wildlife sounds all around us was simultaneously sort of cool and a little bit harrowing.
3. Leaves are falling all around, particularly up in the Santa Cruz Mountains, where we went this afternoon to go pick up some wine. There are seasons in the Bay Area. Who knew?
4. Now that I’ve synched all of our paper and online calendars, I can no longer pass off my procrastination as forgetfulness. We have a lot of stuff to do before we head off to London! (In three and a half weeks! Yay!)
5. Healing is…time consuming. That is all I have to say about that.
6. Soup-making and baked-good plotting is what I’ve been up to lately! In the kitchen, at least.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I’m looking forward to watching the Giants beat the Padres (come on Matt Cain, it may be 5-0 right now, but let’s end strong, ok?), tomorrow my plans include a little wine pick-up and picnic as well as some very necessary schoolwork, and Sunday, I want to sleep in, and make sure to catch Mad Men. I am crazy in love with this season, it’s official.
And now the miscellany: remember that job I was interviewing for? Well, even after two successful interviews (that I had thought went fairly well), I didn’t get it. They gave it to “the other candidate,” who I can only assume is a Super Ninja Assassin Librarian, because I am actually pretty great. Back to the (slim pickings) drawing board… Sigh.