50 Odd Things About Me Meme, recently on Magnolias, Marriage, and Manhattan
(See? I totally told you! Also, I cannot completely vouch for the oddness of these bits of information. But I suppose that’s what you get with memes, no?)
1. Do you like blue cheese? Let’s put it this way: I have never met a cheese that I didn’t like. The moldier and smellier the better, for real.
2. Have you ever smoked heroin? No. I vote that this is more “alarming” (if answered in the affirmative, of course) than “odd.”
3. Do you own a gun? No. No freaking way. And it’s safe to say that I never will.
4. What flavor do you add to your drink at Sonic? Oh man, I wish there were a Sonic close to me! I always see their commercials and get so jealous.
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? Yes, for no apparent reason. Maybe because I know that there will be various “tests,” and I want to get A’s on them all. Yes, I will always be an overachiever.
6. What do you think of hot dogs? Love! Except I recently saw an episode of Unwrapped about hot dogs and hot dog acoutrements, and that was way too much information.
7. Favorite Christmas Movie? National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, forever and ever.
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Black tea with Splenda, or the tears of my enemies (although I worry that the second would only make me thirstier).
9. Can you do push ups? Sure…I’m very strong-willed, if not strong-armed.
10. Where do you keep your keys? (P.S. I had to make this one up, because 10 was missing. I know it’s sort of lame, but at least it’s “odd.”) I bought a set of two ceramic leaves at Target’s dollar area last fall, and it was originally supposed to be a seasonal thing, but they’ve caught on and have lived on our console table ever since, guarding the keys. Now, when I forget to put my keys there? All hell breaks loose.
11. What’s your favorite piece of jewelry? I love the diamond earrings that GP got for me last year for my birthday, and the pearls that used to belong to his grandmother (they’re this really long strand of potato pearls that are so versatile– they make me feel like the Princess of France whenever I wear them)
12. Favorite hobby? Reading, and planning ways to make my life more similar to that of Martha Stewart (aside from the jail time).
14. Do you have A.D.D? Nah, I’m just easily distracted.
15. What’s one trait you hate about yourself? I have a really hard time asking for help when I need it, and then accepting it even when it’s offered.
16. Middle name? Elise. I used to hate it, but now I like that it’s unique. The downside to this is that my initials are MES. If/when GP and I get married, they will be MESS. I know.
17. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment… 1. What happened to that house in Westchester that Monica and Chandler ended up putting an offer on? Friends is always on my mind. 2. Is this headache a sign that this is too much chardonnay, or that I should be wearing my glasses? 3. Reheated salmon is probably not worth the effort, is it?
18. Name 3 things you bought yesterday. With my own money? I don’t think I bought anything. But I did get to use the company credit card at FedEx/Kinko’s, because my life is pretty exciting, what with all that collating. Also, I seriously didn’t buy anything else yesterday. Go, me!
19. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink. Water, wine, black tea
20. Current worry? That I will continue to disappoint at work until I end up leaving in the fall. And that I have so little power to change that situation.
21. Current hate? This burgeoning headache. Go away, already!
22. Favorite place to be? Ever? Probably the beach. Any beach, really, but probably one of the ones on the North Shore of Oahu, where my family rented a house a few summers ago. Pure bliss, I tell you.
23. How did you bring in the New Year? With GP and his parents in a teeny mountain hamlet in mid-Hudson New York. It snowed! I was so psyched.
24. Where would you like to go? Back to Hawaii! Trips are already planned to Atlanta/Charleston and Paris later this month/year, so I am not counting those.
25. Name three people who will complete this? First of all, not a question. Second…I have no idea. Whoever loves to divulge little-known facts about themselves, and isn’t troubled by the fact that these things aren’t “odd” in the strictest sense of the word.
26. Do you own slippers? Yes, and I am wearing them now. They are black, with a little cable-knit and faux-fur detailing. I love them to death.
27. What shirt are you wearing? I’m wearing a nude-colored camisole from Old Navy, and an oatmeal sweater that’s…Gap? Also, that’s oatmeal as in the color, not the warm breakfast food.
28. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? I haven’t before, but am pretty convinced that it would give me either VD or a rash. Or both.
29. Can you whistle? Yep. Hello, I have Okie ancestors, and they were at times involuntary whistlers, what with their sibilant issues.
30. Favorite color? I love them all! Because I am not seven years old, it’s really hard to pick. I like and wear all different colors, though black is my default. But isn’t it everyone’s?
31. Would you be a pirate? In a heartbeat, matey!
32. What songs do you sing in the shower? Whatever gets stuck in my head. Anything from Earth Wind and Fire to Carole King and Disney songs.
33. Favorite girl’s name? I have a hard time with names, because I can never dissociate them from the person or people I know (or know of) that bear them.
34. Favorite boy’s name? Really! It’s like I can never meet someone named Cody without thinking of Cody Porter from second grade, who made me laugh hysterically with his rendition of the song they played in the Baby Rollerblade commercial. Not even necessarily bad associations, but ones that make it hard to name my future children.
35. What’s in your pocket right now? Ha! I am wearing yoga pants, which I usually sleep in, rather than wearing them for their intended purpose.
36. What’s something that made you laugh today? This teenage girl that came into my office today to participate in our study. She was so energetic, and made me feel crazy old.
37. Best bed sheets as a child? O. M. G. I had Cabbage Patch sheets! And they rocked everyone’s faces right off.
38. Worst injury you’ve ever had? I’ve broken my big toe on my right foot twice. Neither time involved getting any sort of medical attention, so I am forever deformed. At least I have cute shoes to cover my toe shame!
39. Do you love where you live? For the most part. I worry sometimes that I will have to live somewhere outside California, and it bothers me more than I am willing to admit. Sorry, places that aren’t California!
40. How many TVs do you have in your house? 2; one in the living room, one in the study. But not even one in the bedroom. Point, Megan!
41. Who is your loudest friend? Hm. Probably my friend Skippy, who lives in NYC now. In general, though, my friends are more the “under their breath” type than the shouty type.
42. How many dogs do you have? None of my own…but my mom and stepdad have a yellow Lab, Kobe (who just turned 8! I cannot believe it), and my dad has a beagle, Fred (who likes to sleep in, not just on the bed)
43. Does someone have a crush on you? Not that I know of. The crushes were much more plentiful when I worked with children, who didn’t know any better.
45. What is/are your favorite book(s)? Oh, man. I cannot even begin to tell you. I love A Thousand Splendid Suns, the Norton Anthology of English Literature Volumes 1 and 2, The Great Gatsby (for real, I swear!), Pride and Prejudice, The Stranger, anything by David Sedaris, all of the Harry Potters (because, seriously…it’s brain candy), pretentious hippie Beatnik stuff, bad books that can and should only be purchased in airports before transcontinental flights, grammar guides, Frank O’Hara’s Lunch Poems
46. What is your favorite candy? Junior Mints and Snickers! Also Sour Patch Kids, and Almond M&Ms.
47. Favorite Sports Team? UCLA Bruins!
48. What song do you want played at your funeral? Hmm…there is a movement of Satie’s Gymnopedies that I think is really beautiful and sad. Overall, though, I am pretty unprepared to answer this.
49. What were you doing 12 AM last night? Sleeping, and subconsciously planning to knee GP at about 4 and a half hours later. Sorry!
50. What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up? “Five more minutes!” And this was a day where I woke up before the alarm. That just destroys me.
Ok, y’all, get on it! I know that you all have interesting things going on in your lives that are much more blog-worthy than your responses to the above 50 questions, but humor me! Or at least put it away for a rainy blog day, when the muse isn’t singing.